By June 8 the islands of Attu and Kiska were captured by the Japanese and since there were no airfields, seaplane tenders Kimikawa and Kamikawa Maru arrived to offer air cover. The next day six Toko-ku flying boats arrived in Kiska.
On July 5 a small seaplane fighter unit was organised within Yokosuka-ku by Lt Yamada with six A6M2-Ns. The unit advanced to the Aleutians on board seaplane tender Chiyoda and became part of the Toko-ku, which in the meantime had taken over patrols over Kiska from the Kimikawa & Kamikawa Maru aircraft.
On August 5, 1942 the six seaplane fighters led by Lt Yamada became independent forming the 5th Kokutai.
On August 14 and again on the 31st, Kimikawa Maru brought five+five Aichi E13A1 "Sanzasuitei" (Jake) which from September 4 started patrols in the area.
On September 25, Kimikawa Maru brought more reinforcements, five A6M2-N and two E13A1.
On November 1, 1942 5th Kokutai changed its name to 452-Ku.
The photos below, from vintage magazines, were taken between August and December 1942.
Final instructions before taking off from Kiska island on another patrol mission.
Lunch time in Kiska. The pilots are wearing winter Type 17 (1942) one-piece flying suit and although the kanji are not clear enough the pot in the foreground is probably a "hango" (here).