Wednesday, 12 August 2026

Fiat BR.20 "Cicogna" in Japanese service


I was recently going through the Japanese propaganda videos dubed in Indonesian found in the Dutch archives. One video showcasing the "power of the Japanese Air Force" features a collection of short clips. Among them there is some really short footage of a Fiat BR.20 "Cicogna" operated by an IJAAF "jubakutai" (heavy bomber unit).
Although really very short, this is the only footage of a BR.20 in Japanese service I know of. Obviously the original would have included additional material, but regrettably, I believe it's unlikely it will ever surface.

According to the Japanese Wikipedia:
In 1938, 85 units of the late-model BR.20 were exported to the Imperial Japanese Army and deployed in the Second Sino-Japanese War under the designation "I-shiki" (Type I) Heavy Bomber. The aircraft served as an interim measure pending the introduction of the Type 97 Heavy Bomber [Mitsubishi Ki-21 "Sally"]; by the time the Type 97 was deployed to the front lines, stocks of Italian-standard bombs and spare parts had been exhausted, leading to the aircraft's withdrawal from frontline service. Nevertheless, the Breda-SAFAT 12.7mm machine guns with which the aircraft was equipped proved invaluable to the Army's development of its own aircraft machine gun, the Ho-103.

Type I Heavy Bomber (Fiat BR.20) flown by the 1st Chutai of the 98th Sentai.

Type I Heavy Bomber (Fiat BR.20) flown by the 1st Chutai of the 12th Sentai
(Photo Tanaka Shoichi via Jun Oizumi)

In case you didn't know, the best and immediately available (not ancient, out-of-print or inaccurate) reference for the "Sally" and the Fiat BR.20 in Japanese service, is the 3rd release in our Eagle Eye series.
Available from our online store: HERE

No comments: