Saturday 9 December 2023

Mitsubishi Ki-21 "Sally" by Jean Barby

Here is the ICM Ki-21 in 48th. First many thanks for the great Arawasi book on the bird, it was more than useful. I have used the plan to do the riveting job, long, boring but, in the end rewarding. The model is good, correct in dimensions, and full of details invisible once the fuselage is closed. The large amount of transparencies requires masks, there is a pattern in the instructions, which I did scan and print on my Silhouette. Plastic is very fragile and many small parts were replaced with evergreen rods. With a plane this size, working with sub-assemblies is a must. The fit is very good so no trouble there. I would have preferred a Ki-21-2, with the Ha-104 engines, streamlined engine covers, and dorsal turret. They wore interesting camos. Searching my books I found what I was looking for in the Pacific Profiles Vol 2 from J. Claringbould, with a model 1 used as transport by the 14th Hiko Sentai based at Rapopo in March 43. Of course, I did all the markings with masks including the 14th Sentai tail marking. The whole plane was painted Grey-Green and randomly covered with green mottle on the ground. On to the pics now (the plane is large and my photo studio is small, so I do apologize for the quality of the pics).

3 comments:

Kevin Bade said...

Excellent airbrushing of the camoflage Mr. Barby. I also wish for the type 2 but wonder if we will see one as it would take considerable modifications by ICM.

Arawasi said...

From the beginning, ICM announced that they plan to release "all" the Ki-21 types.

Jacob said...


Hat's off for this amazing paint job. It's a beauty this Sally!

Jacob.